Cathy Beaton is a professor at RIT's computing college (GCCIS) and she was my professor for two required IT core courses, "Ethics in Computing" and "Human-Computer Interfaces" (HCI). I liked her teaching and the subject matter so much that I ended up taking HCI and Technical Writing as my minor concentrations.
Cathy invited me to take a quarter-long co-op with her to explore the topics of HCI and accessibility by revamping her departmental website into a fully-accessible nexus of information.
What I Did
- Created entirely new site theme with CSS
- Reorganized information in more logical groupings
- Implemented and reorganized previous graduate student's SQL database of Access & Accessability links
- Ensured and tested readability of entire site by text browsers and screen readers
- Ensured and tested conformation to maximum compliance to WAI-AAA guidelines